Site Reliability / Security Engineer
- Team: Engineering
- Hiring Manager: SVP, Engineering
- Location: US - Remote
BERA (Brand Equity Relationship Assessment) stands for innovation and inspiration. We created the world’s first and only truly Predictive Brand Tech platform to solve the number one issue in marketing and building brands: the inability to quantify and predict the impact of brand on current and long-term business value. Our solution takes the guessing-game out of brand-building so our customers can focus on the art of building loved brands and outsmarting their competition. On our platform, brand owners are inspired by seeing their brand’s growth potential and how to realize it, and even more by being able to see what the best of over 4,000 of the most important brands in the world are doing, no matter their category.
We are not a research house that produces facts, or a brand agency that tells stories, or a consulting firm that advises on the business of brands, or a tech firm with just another digital platform. We are a SaaS company whose software produces fact-based stories with a quantified linkage to business value through automation of predictive analytics and always-on research.
We never stop innovating our platform to make it easier for marketers and brand leaders to diagnose, direct, and inspire their efforts and financial contribution. Our vision is to make BERA the global standard - in marketing departments around the world, corporate board rooms, and on Wall Street - for measuring, maximizing, and managing brands. Our ambition is to turn our well-funded growth company into the world's only predictive brand tech unicorn.
Who you are
Reporting to the SVP, Engineering, the Site Reliability / Security Engineer (SR/SE) is key to BERA’s system growth and security during BERA’s design and implementation of a new predictive brand tech platform. This role requires a hands-on, can-do attitude capable of ensuring all systems are up, running, monitored, and alerting when issues are found. Additionally, this role will be working closely with the engineering team to ensure that appropriate security and data privacy measures are in place at all levels of the organization.
This role develops designs for ensuring overall system reliability across all components and major subsystems within a SaaS-based platform providing brand intelligence applications. It requires a hands-on approach to guide the technical implementation teams in producing observable software; works to provide visibility in the form of dashboards to the engineering and product teams related to the status of the system; works independently and is capable of leading the technical investigations during and after an incident.
This position will take a lead role in the security and data privacy strategy of BERA to ensure an independent audit (outside of engineering) of BERA’s software and systems. The SR/SE will establish security standards to be followed by the engineering team and ensure that automated tooling is in place and utilized to continually scan the code base for any security anomalies. This role will work closely with various groups to infuse the technical knowledge and the “shift left” culture into the mindset and development process utilized by BERA.
This person will work closely with the SVP, Engineering, and others within the engineering organization to standardize the use of corporate technology tools across BERA’s remote work culture. This will include establishing rules and procedures for the handling of BERA’s corporate information in a remote setting without a corporate firewall/network. Additionally, this role will aid in the administration of corporate users’ toolsets and machines to ensure business continuity.
This person must have strong conceptualization and communication skills in order to combine technology principles and solutions and use a data-driven approach to convince teams of their merit.
- Develop operational intelligence pipelines of data
- Create processes for monitoring all aspects of BERA’s predictive brand tech platform
- Develop dashboards for visualization of the system
- Automate the pipelines and dashboard processes
- Create monitoring and alerting workflows to notify team members when the system is having issues
- Identify and institutionalize best practices for security scanning of code and applications
- Identify vendors to perform regular 3rd party scans of BERA’s applications
- Develop procedures for the handling of corporate information within a remote workforce
- Establish practices for monitoring the handling of data within the organization
- Aid in the operational provisioning of users, tools, accounts for BERA
- Establish SSO connections from BERA’s IdP to vendor services to simplify account management
- Participate in the ongoing BERA platform continuous improvement including databases, data warehouses, hardware, ETL software, metadata management, tools, and designs
- Participate in projects related to the implementation and use of new tools and technologies
- Be aware, teach and implement information security and data privacy best practices within BERA’s platform and processes
- Troubleshoot and tune tools, systems, and software
- Design and lead BERA’s incident management program
- Assist in initiatives such as upgrades, query optimizations, security/access control, scalability, availability, monitoring, diagnostics, production support, and other enterprise assignments
- Contribute to software development life cycle processes and tools
- Interface with the database, IT, and R&D teams to design solutions, perform technology assessments, and enforce standards and processes
- Audit designs, development, and deliverables to ensure meeting security and observability goals
Core functional Requeriments & skills
- Corporate SSO and how to incorporate within BERA and BERA’s platforms
- Deep understanding of networking and network security
- Understanding of cloud-based networking
- Implementation of security protocols for accessing cloud resources
- Implementation of system observability tools
- Software security tools and practices
- Security within frameworks for running and managing containers (Kubernetes, AWS ECS/EKS, etc.)
- Remains at the forefront of emerging industry technologies
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change
- Drives the process of innovative change
- Mentor to other engineers to achieve security and observability goals
- Effectively communicates technical ideas to both technical and non-technical staff
BERAis committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ability, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law.
How to apply
Send a resume to
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- The overall experience of 7+ years with 3+ years’ experience working in operations/DevOps/network security
- Requires B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- Hands-on implementation experience
Requires experience with:
- logging, tracing, metrics gathering, and display tools
- implementation of software systems in a cloud environment
- container-based software deployments
- serverless based software deployments
- security best practices for network and software
- automation techniques for regularly running security scans
- network security tools
- renovating software solutions
- operational intelligence tools
Demonstrated aptitude for:
- working with teams in a remote environment
- understanding high-performance and scalable SaaS systems
Desirable experience includes:
- team leadership
- experience with predictive analytics
- start-up environments
- marketing industry experience/knowledge, content development, data analytics, big data, startups and entrepreneurialism
- Google Cloud Platform